NCCM Core Values & Guiding Principles
The National Council of Canadian Muslims (NCCM) is a federally incorporated, independent, non-partisan and non-profit organization that is a leading voice for Muslim civic engagement and the promotion of human rights. The NCCM works to defend and protect civil liberties, challenge discrimination and Islamophobia, and promote the public interests of Canadian Muslims.
In carrying out its mandate, the NCCM and its board of directors, employees, contractors, and representatives are anchored and guided by certain core values and guiding principles that inform the work and ethics of the organization.
Core Values & Guiding Principles
1. NCCM believes in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and in upholding the fundamental rights and freedoms of all Canadians.
2. NCCM believes that core Islamic values are aligned with and reflect Canadian values including equality, freedom, inclusiveness and justice.
3. NCCM believes that Canada’s multiculturalism and the contributions of Canadian Muslims strengthen our nation’s democracy.
4. NCCM believes active citizenship is the responsibility of all Canadians.
5. NCCM believes in the strength through diversity of the Canadian Muslim community and is strictly non-sectarian.
6. NCCM strives for the equal participation of all Canadian Muslims, regardless of ethnic, linguistic or cultural background.
7. NCCM believes in consultation and supports the participatory aims of grassroots activism.
8. NCCM believes in being respectful, civil and prudent in all of its advocacy and communications and in avoiding any conduct that displays or gives the appearance of rancour, disrespect or ill-will towards any individual or organization.
9. NCCM believes there is no dichotomy between human rights and public security; rather, they share a symbiotic relationship.
10. NCCM consistently and categorically condemns all acts of violence against civilians and non-combatants irrespective of the perpetrator and believes there is never any justification for terrorism.