Send a Letter to the Ontario Government to Support the Our London Family Act
On June 6, 2021, three generations of one family were killed in an Islamophobic terror attack in London, Ontario. In the aftermath of this unspeakable loss, Ontarians heard their political leaders make bold and unequivocal statements about eradicating Islamophobia and hate from their province. Now, we are asking them to take action.
The Our London Family Act (Bill 86), as proposed by the National Council of Canadian Muslims (NCCM), is a way to take clear and reasonable action against Islamophobia in Canada. It was introduced by the Ontario NDP on February 23rd and it was moved by the government to committee for study and public engagement on March 3rd, 2022.
Join us in calling on the government of Ontario to pass the Our London Family Act (Bill 86) before the provincial election is called in the spring. This piece of model legislation proposes key and common-sense changes to the way that we challenge Islamophobia in Ontario. If passed, the Our London Family Act would address six key areas:
- New tools and strategies for Ontario schools to combat all forms of racism, including Islamophobia.
- A provincial review of hate crimes and hate-motivated incidents in Ontario, so that we can reduce their occurrences.
- Safe Zones around religious institutions, which are often the targets of intimidation and hate motivated demonstrations.
- Empowerment of the Speaker to ban protests at Queen’s Park that incite hate.
- Dismantling white supremacist groups by preventing them from registering as societies and to prevent acts of intimidation.
- Establishing an Ontario Anti-Racism Advisory and Advocacy Council to make sure racialized communities have a say on government policies that impact their lives.
This is the time for all MPPs, from all parties, to give this their multi-partisan support. We can make history and pass this bill into law before the election is called in the spring.
You can read the full Our London Family Act at: https://www.ola.org/sites/default/files/node-files/bill/document/pdf/2022/2022-02/b86_e.pdf
Sign this letter today asking the Ontario Government to support the Our London Family Act.