Sign the petition to help bring Hassan Diab home
The National Council of Canadian Muslims (NCCM) is calling on supporters and fellow Canadians to sign the following petition calling on the Government of Canada to work towards the immediate granting of bail to Hassan Diab and securing his urgent return to his family and home in Canada. Diab has been in French custody since 2014.
Who is Hassan Diab?
- Hassan Diab is a Canadian of Lebanese origin, who was a sociology professor at the University of Ottawa.
- In 2008, Diab was arrested by the RCMP in relation to the Copernic St. Synagogue bombing in Paris in 1980.
- Since then, he has been extradited to France based on anonymous intelligence allegations, possibly gleaned from torture, and has been held without trial since 2014.
- The Canadian extradition judge described handwriting evidence against Diab as being ‘illogical’, ‘very problematic’, and ‘suspect’; and cited the low threshold for evidence under Canada’s extradition laws as the reason he was forced to sign Diab’s extradition order.
- Even French courts have found « consistent evidence » supporting Hassan Diab’s innocence and called for his release six times, but appeals courts have overturned release orders each time.
- Countless organizations have called on the federal government to extricate him to Canada.